Tuesday, March 15, 2011

How come it doesn't feel like we're "One Flesh"?

Josh and I were married on November 28, 2009. By far the most awesome day of my earthly life. He is my soulmate. Even in the christian social world the word soulmate seems to be rarely used, but for us, I really believe it's true. God has shown us many times how he has woven our lives together in such amazing ways, He practically pushed us together. (More on that later)

Lately though, a question has arose in both of us. What does it mean to be "one flesh"? Are we supposed to feel something different? I encourage you ladies and gents, give me any input you have on this.

Last night Josh asked me about this and we prayed about it together. After feeling like we were going in circles and feeling sufficiently insecure as a wife, the Lord showed up. Instantly, I knew that my body was meant for my husband. I was created with the intent to be his wife. I really am The Eve who has the missing Rib to my Adam, My Joshua. We are "one" because His word says we are.

"AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH; so they are no longer two, but one flesh." 
NASB Mark 10:8

You could feel something break in the room. I felt more secure in my physical beauty, Josh felt peaceful and Strong.

Increasingly my Abba Father has been teaching me that my faith is not dependent on my emotions. (Which is hard if you are as much of a waterworks as I am) This is exactly what I need. His word is unwavering and true, and that I can put my trust in.

I feel secure knowing that I am Joshua's Eve, created for him. My Lord called me to be Joshua's wife. We are one because He says we are, and that's the truth.

"For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh." NASB Genesis 2:24

Abba, thank you that you are a good daddy. That you are always teaching us, and that your answer is always simpler than I expect. 

3 comments:

  1. The past few weeks at church, the teachings have been about marriage. It's made me think a lot about these kinds of questions. They aren't always easy to look at because they force us to examine the parts of our relationships that may not be as healthy as we wish them to be. Thanks for writing about this, Kristin. One of the things our pastor said about the Adam's rib thing that I really liked was that we are from his ribs because we are not following behind him like a slave, nor leading him to do our bidding, but right at his side. Working together on mission. Two souls who come together to serve Jesus on the mission of God.
    Ok, sorry enough for a comment. excited to hear more on your blog! love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. one more thing: here's a link to our church's teachings, they are awesome if you have a chance to listen to the past few weeks!
    http://www.ajesuschurch.org/topic?id=796&c=1190

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's beautiful, hon. I needed that. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete